How To – Maximize your Email Marketing Efficiency
Much has been said and written about email marketing efficiency, but there definitely is no absolute guide that dictates what is to be done to gain maximum ROI out of your email campaigns. But there definitely are some time-tested universal truths that can be held close to absolutes in driving the success of your email marketing program.
It all begins from the prospect list and moves on to the email creative, the landing page strategy and the unsubscribe policy. So let me simplify it for you in steps
- Create a physical and online marketing strategy, where list generation emerges as a peripheral benefit – the idea being that do not create your marketing strategies with the prime objective of building your internal lists, but let it be one of the results of your carefully devised strategies. Create a marketing plan that counts in conferences, tradeshows, attendee meets (but you know that already) and add in webinars and online campaigns to drive visitors indoors.
- Enhance, append and verify your lists on a continuous basis. It is most important to keep your lists complete with emails through email Append (Check our How To Guide on Maximizing Lead volumes through Email Append). Exercise care in selecting an email append vendor.
- Be smart with your email creative. Easier said than done. Do not confuse aesthetic appeal for creativity. A creative email piece would be one that communicates your pitch in a succinct and precise manner, while keeping the right Calls to Action. Placement of content is of utmost importance, and that’s a subject for another of my How To’s.
- A landing page is your best tool to help you convert prospects to clients. Create engaging landing pages that elaborate on your pitch and use the opportunity to bring in your best offers on your landing page too. The most important part of the landing page should be the lead capture form to collect the details of your prospect. This should be simple and basic – just what you need to contact the person, and one dropdown box with options to understand what she is looking for. Add an open-ended column in case she needs to add anything more
- Keep your lists clean. Always run verification tests, especially on emails to ensure that your bounces for subsequent mailers would be minimized. Run another email append process to correct the wrong emails. Also maintain a record of the bounces and have them re-appended.
- Remember to remove unsubscribes. Respect the prospect’s wish to not receive communication from you and remove them from your marketing database. (Keep them if you will for sentimental reasons or for a domain reference if you will, but never email them in contravention to their stated preference)